Focus and Scope
REFLEKSI HUKUM is a peer-review scholarly Law Journal issued by the Faculty of Law Satya Wacana Christian University, which is purported to be an instrument for disseminating ideas or thoughts generated through academic activities in the development of legal science (jurisprudence). REFLEKSI HUKUM accepts submissions of scholarly articles to be published that cover original academic thoughts in Legal Dogmatics, Legal Theory, Legal Philosophy, and Comparative Law.
Peer Review Process
- The submitted manuscript shall be the original work of the author, either originated from research activities or in the form of conceptual articles and has not been published anywhere else.
- Having been received by the Editorial Board, the manuscript shall undergo a general review process to assess the article's suitability with a focus on REFLEKSI HUKUM and its conformity with the relevant writing guidelines.
- Suppose the manuscript does not fall within the focus of REFLEKSI HUKUM as suggested in the journal’s mission statement. In that case, the manuscript will not be considered at this stage, and the decision will be promptly informed to the author.
- Suppose the manuscript properly falls within the focus of REFLEKSI HUKUM as suggested in the journal’s mission statement but is not in conformity with the relevant writing guidelines. In that case, the manuscript will be returned to the author along with a notification that the necessary adjustments be made.
- The manuscript found to be eligible following the general review will be delivered to at least two reviewers using a double-blind system for substantial review.
- Based on the reviews, the Editorial Board shall decide as to whether the manuscript is accepted without revision, accepted with minor revisions, accepted with major revision, or rejected either for reasons of writing quality or for ethical reasons and promptly inform the decision of the author.
- If a revision is required, the author shall send the revised manuscript to the Editorial Board within the specified time. If the submission of a revised article exceeds the specified time, it will be considered a new submission.
Refleksi Hukum publishes two times a year in April and October.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
This journal utilizes the LOCKSS and CLOCKSS systems to create a distributed archiving system among participating libraries. It permits those libraries to create permanent archives of the journal for purposes of preservation and restoration.
Statement of Ethics
Publication Ethics used in Refleksi Hukum follows the publication ethics guidelines provided by COPE (Committee on Publication Ethics), which can be accessed at https://publicationethics.org/core-practices ?.
Publication Ethics Statement
REFLEKSI HUKUM is highly committed to maintaining the highest standard in publication, including upholding compliance with publication ethics. For this purpose, the Publication Ethics of this journal refers to COPE (Committee on Publication Ethics). The Publication Ethics adapting from https://publicationethics.org/core-practices%20?, which is intended to respond to cases of ethical misconduct in publications, is developed in four ethical standards based on the parties participating in the production of a journal, which is Ethical Standard for Journal Manager, Ethical Standard for Editorial Board, Ethical Standard Peer Reviewers and Ethical Standard for Authors.
Regarding implementation, articles that lack compliance with Publication Ethics will be denied publication in REFLEKSI HUKUM. To prevent violations of the Publication Ethics, the Editorial Board applies software to detect plagiarism practices. Where violations of the Publication Ethics of a published article are detected subsequently, the Editorial Board will file a report to the appropriate authorities. The author wishing to publish his articles through REFLEKSI HUKUM shall properly sign and submit the Statement of Ethics and the Copyright Agreement.
Ethical Standard for Journal Manager
The Journal Manager bears the responsibility for facilitating the publication of REFLEKSI HUKUM, facilitating the work of the Editorial Board and Peer Reviewers, respecting the decision of the Editorial Board and Peer Reviewers, as well as facilitating the Editorial Board in dealing with sponsors and third parties. The Journal Manager ensures that the publication of REFLEKSI HUKUM complies with the specified Publication Ethics.
The Ethical Standards for the Journal Manager consist of the following responsibilities:
- to respect academic freedom in its relationship with the Editorial Board and Peer Reviewers;
- to respect confidential matters concerning the Authors, Editorial Board, and Peer Reviewers;
- to apply the reward and punishment principle toward the Editorial Board.
Ethical Standard for Editorial Board
The Editorial Board is responsible for deciding which articles are to be published, organizing article reviews, and ensuring that the articles are reviewed fairly and are not involving any kind of academic misconduct. The Editorial Board examines practices relating to article standards of authorship, the satisfaction of the statement of authenticity of the articles, the detection of possible article duplications, the completeness of the acknowledgment of contributions, the statement of authorship, and the statement of funding sources. The Editorial Board should guide authors along with the writing templates. The Editorial Board is also responsible for determining journal contents and seeks to improve the quality of publications on an ongoing basis. The Editorial Board provides forms to be signed by the authors containing Ethics Statement (ethical clearance) and the Copyright Agreement. The Editorial Board seeks to ensure that the research to be published in REFLEKSI HUKUM follows the guidelines on the ethical codes of scientific publications issued by the Indonesian Institute of Science and COPE (Committee on Publication Ethics) regarding Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors https://publicationethics.org/files/u2/Best_Practice.pdf.
The ethical standards that the Editorial Board should meet cover the following responsibilities:
- to perform a fair assessment of the articles to ensure that the articles do not contain any ethical misconduct, genuine, objective, and independent.
- to assess the quality of articles regardless of nationality, ethnicity, political beliefs, race, religion, gender, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the authors without prejudice in making decisions including in choosing Peer Reviewers.
- to ensure the review process of the article is performed thoroughly, transparently, objectively, and fairly.
- to ensure that qualified Peer Reviewers review all published papers.
- to ensure the feasibility of Peer Reviewers selected by their competence and that no conflict of interest is present.
- to reject the article without going through the review process if the article is not in line with the journal's scope or has exceptionally low quality. However, the decision to reject an article should never be based on the background of the author or his/her institutional affiliation.
Ethical Standard for Peer Reviewers
A Peer Reviewer is responsible for assisting the Editorial Board in critically examining the content of articles by their area of expertise. A Peer Reviewer assisted the Editorial Board in determining the eligibility of articles to be published and, at the same time, assisting authors in improving the quality of their articles. In the review process, a Peer Reviewer may recommend the following as results of his/her review: (i) the article is accepted without any required adjustment or with minor adjustment in which the author performs the adjustment without subsequently re-submitting the adjusted article to the Peer Reviewer, (ii) the article is accepted subject to required adjustment, in which the author adjusts the articles and re-submits the article to the Peer Reviewer, (iii) the article is rejected and recommended to be published elsewhere as appropriate, (iv) the article is rejected and recommended not to be published anywhere because the work is inappropriate, defective or adversely affecting the readers/community.
The ethical standards that the Peer Reviewers should meet cover the following responsibilities:
- to be honest, objective, unbiased, independent, and upholding the truth;
- to assess the articles according to his/her field of expertise in a critical manner, to be open to new developments, to keep confidentiality concerning the assessed articles, not to take personal advantage of the articles assessed, and to commit to improving articles that have been reviewed;
- to present the result of his/her review fairly and objectively based on sound arguments.
- to refrain from taking advantage of the reviewed articles for personal or third-party’s gain and from distributing the articles being reviewed to any other irrelevant parties.
Ethical Standards for Authors
The ethical standards that the Authors should meet cover the following responsibilities:
- to provide a statement that the article submitted for publication is original, has not been published anywhere in any language, and is not in the process of submitting to other publishers;
- to provide a statement that the article submitted for publication is legitimately the work of the author him/herself;
- to promptly notify the Editorial Board if there is an error in the submitted article;
- to notify the Editorial Board should a conflict of interest situation emerges.
- in the case of co-authorship, to ensure that the author's names and their order reflect the proper contribution of each author as agreed by all the authors.
- to appropriately notify the Editorial Board if he/she decides to withdraw his/her submitted article.
- to refrain from plagiarism and salami publications.
Faculty of Law
Universitas Kristen Satya Wacana
Article Processing & Submission Charges
To improve the quality of journal management, starting with the publication of Volume 4 No. 1, October 2019, there will be an article publication fee of IDR 1,500,000 / article published in REFLEKSI HUKUM: Jurnal Ilmu Hukum.
The fee must be paid to the account:
BRI kk UKSW
Account: REFLEKSI HUKUM UKSW
Initially, REFLEKSI HUKUM obtained ISSN 0853-7488 as its serial number, which was firstly used in its April 1996 edition. While the journal’s name had already been REFLEKSI HUKUM for quite a while, the accompanying subtitle was “the Law Faculty Magazine.” Over time, the subtitle was subsequently changed by the Editors to “Law Journal” in its 2001 and 2007 publications. However, despite the change of ISSN, the name of REFLEKSI HUKUM is maintained to keep the sustainability and continuity with the previous publications. In 2016, separate ISSNs were requested for both printed and online versions of the journal and based on the Decision of the Indonesian Institute of Sciences, REFLEKSI HUKUM obtained ISSN 2541-4984 (for the printed version) and ISSN 2541-5417 (for the online version). Following the issuance of the new ISSN, the previous volume numbering sequence, which then reached Volume 10, was discontinued, and the volume numbering was restarted from Volume 1 No. 1 October 2016 for the second issue in October 2016.
To clarify, even though the new ISSN has established a “clean slate” situation for REFLEKSI HUKUM, the current REFLEKSI HUKUM remains the same as the previous journal since the substantial continuity with REFLEKSI HUKUM that was previously published by the Faculty of Law, particularly the 2007 edition, is well maintained.